Saturday, November 20, 2010

NMBE Histology

In a couple hours I will go to take the National Board of Medical Examiners histology exam with my classmates. I feel fortunate that I received my histology education at GdaƄsk as I see how unprepared my classmates are for this exam. I have been studying with friends going over material that has been purely review for me but has appeared to be new to them even at the end of the class. We'll see how the results will look.

As I have been surrounded by test-takers recently,  I realized that I've never been an exam freak-out person and for this I am very thankful. Somehow I seem to be able to keep my sympathetic nervous system in check and approach exams as games or problem solving rather than life or death tests. I recently listened to a Radiolab program that touched on this and made me recognize that this testing paradigm shift that I established years ago is extremely beneficial. When I've explained my test-taking behaviour to others, oftentimes they seem to assume that I am taking the material lightly or not being serious enough for the subject matter. I argue that if you stress yourself out with the material and/or situation, you will not perform your best and, particularly with medicine, if you do not preform your best there can be serious repercussions.

Ok, enough procrastinating, I have an exam game to get to.

No comments: