Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Bells

One of the things I truly do love about living in Europe is that without looking at my watch I can tell you when it is 6am, 9am, 12 noon, 6pm, and 9pm. It's the church bells! We live across the street from a church and at those times there is just a cacophony of bells. They don't mess around with the 2 bells for 2 o'clock or 5 for 5 o'clock business. They just let them all ring five times a day. Even downtown, there are churches on every other corner and the bells ring out in succession across the city. It's a comforting sound to me. And a few times those 6am bells have saved my ass when I forgot to set my alarm!

1 comment:

Jake said...

Hey, Corsair! I just saw this blog on Aunt Bee's bookmarks. It's funny because we just got a bird themed clock that sings with a different bird every hour. The only song I recognize is the redwing blackbird that sings at 9 o'clock! So I always know when it's 9.
Hope you guys are doing well.