Friday, December 17, 2010

Snow 1, Chelsea 0

It's the Friday before break and all my classes have been canceled. Therefore, I'm officially on holiday. This would be pretty great if I weren't on crutches. Wednesday this week, as I was just leaving for school, I crossed the snow-packed street in front of my house and slipped landing on my left knee. It didn't help matters that I had about 10 kg of books in my backpack too. I managed to crawl back to the side and hobble back to the apartment. A trip to the doctor that afternoon didn't provide much insight except that my pain structure is abnormal for any of the typical knee injuries. I responded that I don't have typical knees.

I borrowed crutches from a friend, got a compression bandage from the doc, and he started me on 10 days of heparin. Why heparin, you may ask. Well, Monday I am getting on a transatlantic flight to head to Ottawa for the holiday break and, having a recent leg injury, may be at risk for a blood clot.

I am supposed to go back today, Friday, for an ultrasound to see if there is any soft tissue damage like a meniscus or ligament. After two days of staying off it though, I am feeling quite a bit better. I know I should go through with the ultrasound just to be safe, but I'm pretty sure they won't find anything. I have a feeling that in a few more days I may be back to at least 80%. That means no jogging for a while, but the fact that I fell just walking across the street means I won't be jogging outdoors anyway! It's gross out there!

No comments: